As you can tell by the dates of the last two blog entries, I have not had time to sit and write an update. Tonight, I decided to blog before getting all my nightly chores done seeing as that is the only way I think blogging will happen. By the time my day is over, I have just enough energy to brush my teeth, wipe my face with a facial wipe (no in depth facial care for me), and with a lot of luck I can make it from my bathroom to my bed.
For the first time I am legitimately disappointed with my inability to update my blog. I am overflowing with great ideas for entries, and a lot of fun things are happening in terms of Gideon’s development. So I am going to do an experiment. For the next seven days, as soon as Gideon goes down for the night (between 7:30 and 8:00), I am going to sit on the couch, take a breather, and update my blog.
If this is ends up being a feasible routine for me, I might consider blogging every night. There is no shortage of topics I want to write about. If I go through a dry spell, I might ask you for some input on ideas of things to blog about.
I’m keeping it short and sweet tonight. Here goes.
Paleo Cereal Crunch
One of my blog entries this next week will be about me and my family’s decision to eliminate wheat from our diet, and most dairy from my own diet. I’m sure if you’ve seen my last few recipes, you have gotten an idea that our diet has changed. I am having a lot of fun discovering new foods, and healthy substitutes for staple ingredients.
One of our new essential pantry items is a grain free cereal, full of different seeds and nuts. Just because we are eliminating wheat does not mean we have to be deprived of certain food-related pleasures. If you are looking for a nutrient charged, low carbohydrate alternative to curve that morning crunch craving try this and let me know how it works for you. We made two adaptations to the source recipe: decreased the amount of coconut oil, and changed/added the amounts of nuts in the recipe for more variety.
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup almond meal (there is Simple Truth almond meal now! Kroger is getting smarter and smarter.)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
2. Mix all your dry ingredients, set aside.
3. Melt the coconut oil, be careful not to boil it. Add the vanilla and honey, mix together.
4. Pour coconut oil mixture onto dry ingredients and fold until the dry ingredients are coated.
5. Spread the cereal onto a baking sheet and put in the oven for 10 minutes.
6. Remove cereal from the oven and move cereal around a little to make sure it all gets crunchy. Put the cereal back in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes
7. Voila! Enjoy the yummy aroma while it cools. Once cooled break it apart with a fork or spoon and store in an air tight container (ziploc bag, tupperware, etc). This cereal is very rich and filling so one batch goes pretty far.
8. You can eat it with your milk of choice, yogurt, or just eat it as a dry snack. I always add some kind of berry or banana to it. We love it!
My Favorite for the Day:
Gideon has started transferring well from carseat to crib. Today I took him out of his carseat, but didn’t quite reach his crib. I plopped down on the couch and stole me some snuggle time. So glad I did!