Wow, that’s a mouthful.
1. I went back to work this week. I worked 4 hours on Tuesday and 4 hours on Saturday. Both times I felt like I was abandoning my child – which I was far from doing since both times I left Gideon at home with his daddy. Mommy guilt is a whole new
animal beast that I’m learning to tame, and might possibly be the topic of a whole separate blog entry at some point. The fact is, I hated leaving my baby and being away from him. Every time I would look behind my shoulder in the car and see no carseat, my heart would skip a beat. “I forgot Gideon!”
If you are a full-time working mom I’m sure you’re probably thinking “Oh puh-leez. Cry me a river”. But I never ever claim to be a strong person, and I’ll openly confess that when it comes to Gideon I will probably be over the top. On Saturday I was able to keep it together a little better and only requested a picture once, and I’m sure each time will get “easier”.
I’m blessed with a flexible work schedule that I can modify weekly according to when it’s feasible for me. Daniel’s on a constant rotating schedule, so the plan is for me to work one day a week when he is off, so he can stay with Gideon. That way we can both work, but one of us will always be with him.
The bottom line for me is that I love my job and consider myself lucky to do what I do for a living; but my primary purpose and pleasure in life is being Gideon’s mother.
2. On Thursday I met a bunch of other mommies at the new and improved Washington Park. It’s such a great park! I’m so glad Gideon will get to grow up playing there. It’s right across the street from the Music Hall, and smack dab in an area rich with Cincinnati culture and architecture. I blame mommy brain for the absence of Gideon’s sunblock and a sunhat, but we still had a great time watching his friends and cousins splash, run, and have a good old time.
3. Gideon seems to like his Bumbo seat!
4. Gideon isn’t a big fan of tummy time, but at least he’s aligned!
But it’s slowly growing on him, and he tolerates up to 5 minutes of it at a time. Our chiropractor is going to offer a tummy time class in July that we might just go to. Speaking of chiropractor, Gideon saw ours for the third time today and LOVED it. He was cooing and peaceful the whole time, and he was NOT happy when the chiropractor was done and handed him off to Daniel. It wasn’t 10 minutes later and he was out like a light. If you have any questions or anything about pediatric chiropractic, let me know. It wasn’t long ago I was a nonbeliever, so I’m no expert but I’ll share what I know if you are interested!
5. Gideon got his 3 month shots (HIB and Pc), and his favorite toy for the day was one of my old measuring spoons from college.
6. Gideon has graduated his 5 oz bottles. Another milestone that I thought needed to be captured. He now takes big boy bottles. And in case you are curious, Gideon is now formula fed. It’s a long story, and I might write about it someday. Until then, if you have questions please feel free to ask. I’ve been through the ringer, and would love to be a support for you if you are having trouble breastfeeding.
That’s it for now, folks!